Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Utensil Holder

I decided to start saving soup and vegetable cans for crafting, hoping
that I could come up with something to do with them. Well
I happen to be off work for Spring Break this week, was staring at
the empty cans and it finally came to me...A Utensil Holder.

My cousin and best friend just got an apartment together
and I thought making them one to go with their purple
themed kitchen would be perfect.

Supplies Needed
Large Soup Can
Modge Podge
Foam Brush
Scrapbook Paper
1/4" Black Grossgrain Ribbon



I ran the cans through the dishwasher, after removing the labels, to make sure they
were extra clean. I took them out right after the heat dry cycle, it made
removing the excess glue dots much easier when they were hot.



I cut out a piece of scrapbook paper to fit just under both
the top and bottom lips of the can. I applied a small layer of
modge podge to both the back of the scrapbook paper and
the can. I used my fingers to press and roll the paper onto
the can, making sure to press out any bubbles.


I let it dry for about 15 minutes and then sealed the top of the paper
with three coats of modge podge. Once they had dried I applied
the modge podge to the ribbon in the same way I did the scrapbook paper.
Once dry I applied another two layers to the entire can, including the
bottom of the can, to prevent any rust rings on the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment